After looking at the previous winners I began looking into what themes of the book I could convey in the cover initially I wanted to try and show the corruption of power elements but when I gave it some thought I realised it was the aspect of manipulation that I felt resonated with me the most and I decided to add onto the horse puppet strings leading up to a paintbrush on the spine pointing to the way the paintbrush and the manipulation of facts and laws is what is used to manipulate the ignorance of the other animals.
After a meeting in the Design Comp studio Emily Evans recommended that we look into the past winners of the competition to gain a better understanding of what the judges of the competition would be looking for to give us the best chance of succeeding. Continue reading Design Competition: Project 2 Work Placement, Penguin Cover Awards Past Winner Research
Once I had my cover to a point I thought it was presentable I asked one of the tutors Sara to have a look at the cover to see how it could be improved. She felt that the Russian text on the cover took alot of attention away from the image and was unecessary and said that although the type choice for the author name was good I should try out creating letter forms for the title similar to the back cover quote and also to adjust the orientation of the back cover body text as it looked messy and unconsidered. Continue reading Design Competition: Project 2 Work Placement, Peer review and cover changes
Now that I had my images together on the cover I then started experimenting with indian ink to create letter forms for the quote on the back cover “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others” Continue reading Design Competition: Project 2 Work Placement, Cover Title and Letter form Experiments
Now that I had this concept to work off I started to make up the elements of the cover by drawing them out and creating silhouettes on photoshop. Continue reading Design Competition: Project 2 Work Placement, Developing new cover idea
I had been thinking about different ways to take the cover and what I wanted to convey in it and I thought about how the Russian Revolution had fascinated me and I decided to try and convey the rebellion aspects of the book through the cover. This was when I went back to my research to look at a different method of conveying this message and thought to try and emulate the style of Lissitzkys Red Wedge and use basic forms as a method of depicting this rebellion in the book. Continue reading Design competition: Project 2 Work Placement, New idea
After finishing my drawings on paper I brought them into photoshop and used a drawing tablet to colour them in a similar way to the style of the North Korean propaganda using just red and, black and white in the same way as the Russian Propagnda.
Now that I had gathered plenty of research into different types of imagery and typography I began working on my first idea of creating an illustrated cover that could emulate the Russian Bolshevik posters whilst trying to emulate some parts of North Korean propaganda. Continue reading Design Competition: Project 2, Work Placement, First idea drawings
To get a better look at some different types of propaganda and different artistic pieces of that time in Russia I picked up this book and found alot of different image styles being used. Continue reading Design Competition: Project 2 Work Placement, Reading Iron Fists: Branding the 20th Century Totalitarian State
After looking into some of the Russian Propaganda I went onto to look at propaganda that had recently came from North Korea as a result of the tensions between the totalitarian state and the US. I decided to do this because the brief for this stated that they wanted to portray Animal Farms continuous relevance in the present day. Continue reading Design Competition: Project 2 Work Placement, North Korean Propaganda Research